The Special Social Relief of Distress Grant, the amount to be paid to a qualifying applications will be R350 per month from May – October 2020.
The qualifying criteria for the special Social Relief of Distress of R350 per month for distressed individuals is as follows:
- The grant will be available to South African Citizen.
- Permanent Resident or Refugee registered on the Home Affairs system; who are resident within the borders of the Republic of South Africa.
Applicants must be:
- Above the age of 18;
- Not receiving any income;
- Not receiving any social grant;
- Not receiving any unemployment insurance benefit and does not qualify to receive unemployment insurance benefits;
- Not receiving a stipend from the National Student Financial Aid Scheme; and
- Not resident in a government funded or subsidised institution.
Prospective Applicants will need to provide the following compulsory information for processing of their applications:
- Identity Number/Department of Home permit;
- Name and Surname as captured in the ID (and initials);
- Gender and Disability;
- Banking details – Bank Name and Account Number;
- Contact details – Cell phone number;
- Proof of Residential Address;
In terms of Application process, Application for social relief of distress or a social grant may be lodged electronically over and above any other available means of lodging such applications.
The measures applicable include sending a WhatsApp message to 0600 123 456 and selecting SASSA or an E-mail to SRD@sassa.gov.za. We are still finalising additional access channels and including SMS, self-help desks and online application process.